Why do I go into this? Really, I don't know. Isn't that what a blog is for, to blog up all your thoughts onto the interweb? Actually, this post is just a machination on how perspectives can affect the effect of your work. I go through each of these perspectives multiple times every day. But today, as I was getting a very healthy dose of the pessimism (who considered himself a realist), and he was still extremely effective, I began to wonder whether my initial optimism was serving me well. I want to come in an change the world, and convince all the lawyers in Uganda that mediation is a great idea and they should take it seriously and put forth a good effort and show up when they are scheduled and bring their clients so that mediation can actually take place with decision makers and not to argue like they were in court and to trust me as an impartial third party and think a little bit out of the box. And that is still my goal. But is it better to shoot for the moon, get frustrated and end up in apathy land, or to have lesser goals and see them achieved and be more satisfied and fulfilled and have greater stamina? The old proverb goes: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. But what happens when the elephant is trying to eat you too? You run? You try to bullet in its peanut sized brain (please no PETA responses on this, it is a proverb and has no bearing on real animals--and it also is not advocating violence against humans--the elephant is the problem, people, the problem *Marx Brothers aside here, while the action pauses and Groucho turns to the camera to say: And there I go again, dying the death of a thousand qualifications. Such a pitiful little figure, these statements with their immense qualified statements behind them.*).
So the pessimist is incredibly effective, the optimist not nearly as much, and the realist sits in the balance. I guess my goal is to eat the elephant as much as possible over the next year. . . and not be afraid to crack off a couple of warning shots over its head to keep it in line. . . while I am eating it. Man, this metaphor is falling apart. Anyway, if you can make sense of my ramblings feel free to comment. Otherwise, flee.
If you want to comment, it would be interesting to hear where optimism has failed for you and succeeded, and what perspective you find most helpful. Like the horse of a different color in OZ, I turn multiple shades in a days ride. But I continue to be hopeful I can make a difference, realistic about the methods, and pessimistic about the ability to "fool" all the people all the time, i.e., it will never be the case that everyone is on board.
Enough. I am done. Comment or don't. Read or don't. Satirize or (please) don't. Make fun or else.
Peace to you all.
(This is my office where I think, progress through these perspectives daily, and take my tea--the white covered tray you see. Oh yeah, I do mediations in their as well.)
6 comments:
Here's cause for optimism: G's petition for assylum was GRANTED! Pick your jaw up off of the floor and pat yourself on the back. You did some great work on that case, and it certainly paid off!
I was, admittedly, a pessimist on that one :)
BSO
Interesting twist on the perspectival issue, John. You seem to be asking: "Does the perspective bring to bear a different outcome in an objective, quantifiable way?"
This is profitable as far as the limits of its context, yes? To universalize the issue is to absolutize pragmatism. "I'll do this as long as it works" "I know x-y-z as long as it is useful to me" "Truth is what bears out to be profitable but only for as long as is profitable".
It brings us to the question of how a heart disposition towards something affects our knowledge of/ethical action toward the thing/person.
It would be idealism if God were impersonal and cultural/historical/material contextuality were static. But since history affects ensuing states of affairs and God is personal and eternally unchanging, heart disposition can genuinely matter without absolutizing the concept of usefulness (in pragmatism).
The rationalist might have trouble making sense of this given that divine revelation is essential as an ingredient of proper knowledge.
But back around to your musings. Objective quantifiables are seen in the compiling of statistics. And then there is the question of the aim of the office. Is it to successfully mediate cases or to provide the requirement that cases attempt mediation before litigation?
I'm very proud of you.
MSN2
I think optimism pushes us to take radical steps (like move to Uganda *wink*) but realism (and/or pessimism) is what sustains us in those new situations.
If we were always optimistic about a situation then the eventual (and often multiple) failures would be enough to deter and jade even the most ardent optimist.
But, if we maintain a healthy dose of realism in those new and exciting situations then I think that is when we are the most effective. Because at those times that things are going horribly wrong and the optimist would throw up her hands and say "enough!", the realist simply laughs at how predictable life can really be.
'Happy' Labor Day, you laborer, you!
re. post: the old Russian fisherman's 'proverb' "...pray to God, but keep on rowing". Hope doesn't disappoint, but keeps us going in the midst of trials, which bring perseverance/endurance, character, etc. It's got 'real' foundation, but is not a 'strategy'. Work in light of hope, which may not be optimism, but much more foundational, and much longer lasting in the face of trials.
If MSN2 corrects me, I defer!!
Good replies, though, by MSN2(once I have him instruct me) and Amandajenn.
Love you!
Dad
I have some thoughts...but i cannot articulate them at this point in time as I'm pretty tired. But I shall comment soon. Not sure the purpose of this comment then, only to tell you to look for another comment that makes much more sense than this comment. Howz that for a comment?
Responses:
bso - What wonderful news. I had to say I was a realist on that one. Could have gone either way, depending on a lot. Thank you for the good news. Hope you are well. (for everyone else, G is a christian iranian woman that was client of my and bso's at the legal aid clinic that has been granted asylum in the US. hurray for justice!)
Jennifer (er, MSN2) - The thrust of my post was not to mine the objective quantifiable aspects of perspectives, although that would be extremely interesting, but to opine on the subjective effects of the perspectives and how they do not necessarily correlate to outcomes. My goals in the position here are to mediate and resolve cases before they get into court. But what first has to happen is to get the parties to the table. I guess it was part pondering part quizzical wonderment at how perspectives can affect us but not change the outcome. Thanks for the thoughts.
Amandajenn - I completely agree that there has to be a balance, and both help propel us into new adventures and sustain us when they go differently than we expect. Appreciate you responding.
Dad - You bring another important point, in that Hope is grounded in something eternal, and the foundational nature of hope is not subject to the whims of perspective or feelings. And great Russian proverb.
Eric - *tap, tap, tap* (my foot on the floor of my office). thanks for responding? Looking forward to your formerly inarticulable comments.
Post a Comment