I guess it had to happen some time. At some point of the process, someone was going to complain about me or try and bring me down. Though I am not sure that I fully anticipated what would be said, I have had some tense moments with a few advocates here in Uganda, enough to figure it would come to this sooner or later.
But in a court affidavit? I can see the irony.
A court document was filed regarding a mediation I had last year, an advocate claimed, under oath, some very untrue and distorted things about me and the mediation process we had.
Now, I had a huge post ready, with many of his claims repeated and my responses in good detail answering them. But then I thought, what is the point? I know these accusations are untrue. The judges know they are not true. And the point for me is: If I am trying to be a peacemaker, what good would it do to use this blog as a pulpit to vindicate myself? What about forgiveness? If my name was truly sullied and I needed to defend myself I would. But I don't.
It would be entertaining to read some of his claims, and I may yet post some of them at some point to show how there is still a true misunderstanding of what mediation is and its purpose--or how some people just aren't willing to stick with their decisions.
But for now, I have been slandered and I am trying to let it go. It would be retaliatory for me to post my responses to these false accusations, and I don't want to retaliate. I want to forgive and love despite being spited. While this may sound like I am trumpeting a virtue and taking the high road, this really isn't true. Honestly, I am still flabbergast at the accusations, and while they make me laugh (out loud), I also really want to publicly respond and give this advocate a piece of my mind. In reality, this post is a public declaration of my best intentions so that I will not devolve to underhanded means or revenge. A warning sign to myself.
So, hopefully I will have more interesting posts soon and some good pictures as well. For now, I am trying to let this slide off my back as best as possible. And frankly, that is more difficult than I thought it would be.
Friday, 5 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh man... though I appreciate your diplomacy, I would really, REALLY, like to read some of this material!
So, if you don't post, at least send me an email? :)
What an interesting position to be in John. Living what you teach. Man... Good luck as you walk this through!
It is hard, isnt it. I must confess I have given into "responding publicly" on more than one occasion. On one hand, I wouldnt take back those actions, on the other hand, I just wish it was possible for me to speak face to face with them. It is far harder to keep your mouth shut and your attitude correct than anything else. Praying for you.
Stewart :-) kickin it old school
Post a Comment